Sunday, January 17, 2016

Around $1400

I wanted to write this blog, but I was kind of changing my mind about it because I am so bad with remember numbers.  Honestly though, this is what I want to write about, so here goes.
After my first baby, I would go over to my mom's house a couple times a week and run on her treadmill.  That worked well.  I got to run off some weight.  And Grandma and Grandpa got time with the new baby.
After my second baby, that seemed like a lot more work!  Some time that summer I was at a garage sale and found the exact model of treadmill that my mom had!  The lady plugged it in so I could see that it worked.  It was in like-new condition.  And I already knew it was a good one, because I had been using one just like it.  I think I paid around $50 for it.
After the third baby I think I got an ab lounger - not impressed with that buy.  After the fourth baby I bought a power tower.  I had wanted one of those for a long time, so I saved all thru the pregnancy to get that as my after-baby purchase for myself!  Those last two things I paid retail for . . . on sale.
In the last three years I've added an elliptical, from a garage sale for $20 (negotiated that one down!) - works well.  Program #5 kicks my butt regularly!  In the past year, I've added a universal machine, total gym, and more reclined exercise bike for around $260 total.
From what I can figure comparing the things I've bought used versus their retail costs, I've saved somewhere around $1400.  These things were never my first choice for working out before.  I'd always rather run, Zumba, dance, bike, or any of those things.  Now that I am limited, I'm appreciating my little gym a lot more!  Being able to work my muscles, and knowing that I am doing something positive for myself is a great thing - and has been helping me start the day a whole lot better.  This morning I couldn't do anything with my knee.  But the universal machine gave the rest of me a lot to do.
Tonight I am thankful for a home gym that didn't cost a fortune.  This gym has been 11 years in the making, but it is paying off for me now immensely.  I don't know exactly body wise, how much of an impact it is actually happening yet.  But mental, this has been huge . . just being able to do something that I know is good for me.  I don't sit still well.

No comments:

Post a Comment