Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A Little Slow

When I was a young teenager I remember first feeling weird.  That is just the best description I had at the time.  Like sometimes after a breakfast of pancakes and syrup . . a couple hours later and I didn't feel right.  I'd get a little light headed.  My stomach didn't sit right.  Sometimes I'd get a little feverish feeling almost.  I always just kind of assumed that it was something I ate.  It didn't happen all the time, so it had to have been the food, right?  I don't know if I even really told anyone about it.  Most of the time I'd have a snack and it was better.
It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned about low blood sugar.  Over the years I've learned more about it.  I've learned the best way to tackle this thing is to not let it be a problem. Breakfast is a huge key to this.  A low carb, low sugar breakfast works best . . which sucks because I love pancakes, waffles, bagels, Cheerios, muffins, etc.
Two years ago my daughter started having some issues at school.  Every day, around the same time every day she would have to go to the office to lay down.  It took me a few weeks to figure out that she was having the same issues that I used to have.  We've worked on her breakfast choices and her eating habits.  And she's gotten a lot better at handling this!
For awhile now my older daughter has talked about headaches and being dizzy at school.  It didn't dawn on me at first.  Yesterday she went to the office and the ladies thought she might be getting the flu.  Her face was pale, she had a minor fever, her tummy didn't feel good.  But no, she didn't have the flu.  I finally put two and two together today.  She is also experiencing the same thing.
So we spent the drive to the orthodontist and back today discussing how to eat differently.
Tonight I'm thankful for realizing what is going on with my daughters and with myself.  It would have been nicer for all of us if I realized things a bit quicker.  But, better late than never!  And here's to eggs and bacon for breakfast!  Hip, hip, Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment