Thursday, February 11, 2016

That Mom

I will admit it, I am that mom.  I make coaches cringe.  I have walked out on to baseball fields, soccer fields, football fields, and now a basketball court.
I don't do this with the intention of disrupting practices or games.  And I do apologize for disruptions.  But, here's the thing . . . I don't care where my child is when they are being obnoxiously rude or naughty, I will stop them.  I'm not ridiculous about this.  I don't do it right at first.  I try to catch their eye from the sideline.  Sometimes I wait and talk to them afterwards about their unacceptable behavior.
I know I probably make other parents roll their eyes and whisper.  Seriously though, I don't care.  There's a good chance I'll create that kind of reaction anyway just by being myself and my modestly censored self.
Tonight I walked out, not once, but twice on to the basketball court.  The hubster took him to practice last week and I heard about some bad behavior that night.  So we had a talk about how to behave in practice tonight.  And it wasn't happening.  Being rude and disruptive when the coach was talking was not acceptable.  I motioned a few times from the sidelines to my pushing-the-limits son.  And he
laughed to himself like he was going to get away with it.  The boy should know by now, that just fuels my fire.  He was good for a little bit after my first visit on the court.  Then he started up again right at the end.  So I walked out again.  Ugh!  After that, he did behave himself for the rest of practice.
I see I'll be taking him to the rest of his practices for the season.
So to all my childrens' coaches to whom I have disrupted things, please forgive me.  But I can guarantee you that it is making my child a better person.  And I can guarantee you that facing mom is going to be a much more effective consequence than sitting on a bench or running a lap.  We're a little old school like that.
Tonight I am thankful for the lack of caring of an audience when my children need me to be a mom.  The kids hear the same thing from me whether it's just the two of us at home, or if they are in a busy store, or at a sporting event, or if we are at the doctor's office, or any other place we may be.  It is just themselves and me and the expectations for behavior are always the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment