Sunday, March 27, 2016

I Did It!

In the spring of 1999 I trained to be able to run my first 5k.  Every spare minute I had that wasn't in class or working was spent at the indoor track running.  And when the big day came, I ran the entire way.  I was one of the first ones to finish.  I was so proud.  And I was so thirsty.  There was no water set up yet.  I had to walk all the way back to my dorm to get a drink.  I vowed I would never run another 5k . . .  Well that was a vow I didn't keep.
The point however, is that there was a goal that I wanted my body to reach.  And I trained and trained until my body could reach that goal.
In the past, I was thankful that I could do this.  But I don't think I ever realized the extent of how grateful I should be.  In the past year with thyroid crap, some internal stuff, and lately the torn PCL; I have gained a whole new appreciation for a properly working body.
This morning I was down in my basement gym working out.  I was on the laid back exercise bike for a bit.  Then I moved on to the elliptical.  I was going fine for about 8 minutes, and then there was searing pain in my knee again.  So I stopped and came upstairs.
After our Easter lunch with family, we were back home enjoying the gorgeous weather.  I had this crazy idea to try a bike ride.  I have not successfully tried a regular, upright bike of any kind since before my accident.  And I had already pushed my knee a bit this morning.  But the weather was so enticing, that I just had to try.
I asked the hubster to keep his phone handy in case I couldn't make it back.  The hubster was not in favor of me going.  Fortunately he's used to my stubbornness and he said he'd keep his phone by him.  I took my daughter's bike,  I broke mine last year.  My knee wasn't exactly comfortable feeling, but I made it around the yard ok.  So I went out on the road.  And I was doing it!  I was riding a regular bike!!!
It doesn't sound too special probably.  But it was amazing.  I went about three miles and made it all the way home by myself!  My knee swelled up and I had to elevate it for awhile.  But today wasn't the worst I've been.  So it was totally worth it!
Tonight I am thankful for a wonderful Easter spent with family!  And I am thankful for my own personal Easter miracle of being able to ride a regular bike again!  Here is a proud gal on her bike ride today!





No comments:

Post a Comment