Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Safe

I look at houses day in and day out.  Over the years I've learned quite a bit about structures from home inspectors, builders, contractors, Mike Holmes, property owners who have renovated, and any other source that would take the time to explain anything new to me.
I've been in to buildings where the foundation walls are curving in, where lines of block have tilted over at at least a 45 degree angle, where water had infiltrated from the sides and base.  I've been in to houses where the roof trusses have broken, where the headers have snapped, where walls have crumbled, stairs crushed, and floors just given out.  I have been in million dollar homes and homes that I have valued at a negative number due to the cost to doze the thing.  I've been in renovated homes where the homeowners have become irate after spending tens of thousands of dollars to fix up a home, and then found another several thousand dollar repair needed to bring the home up to current standards.
For awhile now, the buzz around my town has been the middle school building.  From the outside, the building looks pretty much the same as it has for decades.  From the inside, the building has changed, the classrooms have changed, since I've been in that school.  
There has been debate on the benefits of building a new school.  Many of the "pros" made great points.  The "cons" had some points, though not ones that I particularly agreed with.
My number one issue was safety.  I've read the engineer's structural report of the building.  And I don't want my children in that building with hundreds of other people.  I will have two children in that building next year, and for several years following.  I want them safe.  
I go in to buildings where I have felt the second floor sway, the floor give out beneath my feet, and the exterior walls shake when I move a door.  I go in to these buildings by myself, by my own free will, and with full knowledge of the dangers that I may encounter.  I have no desire to send my children in to any buildings with structural issues . . . ever.
So I didn't care about the money.  I didn't care about the history of the building.  I didn't care about the good things that the new building can offer (although I will admit that I am excited about an indoor track . . . for when I can run again).  I didn't care about my memories of being there.  And I didn't care about the generations that have been in that building before me.  I care about my children and their safety.
Tonight I am thankful that "unofficially" the bond has passed to build a new school and keep the kids safe!  :)  Now I'm just waiting for the "official" results to confirm everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment