Saturday, May 28, 2016

Skills

When I was a kid we had this one cake book.  I don't think it was even a book, maybe a booklet.  And it was so exciting at birthday time to look thru the book an pick which cake we wanted mom to make for us.  I don't remember exactly when she stopped doing that.  I'm guessing we probably told her that she didn't have to once we got older.  Because I imagine that she would still do one if I asked.
Well, when I had kids, I wanted to carry on the tradition.  I will admit that my first cakes were a lot more creative.  I made train once with the help of the Internet and a LOT of extras to the cake.
I don't have a cake book.  I did buy one once, but it just wasn't the same as the cake book from my childhood.  So I let the kids pick what they would like and then I get a veto right if it is too difficult.  And every year we end up with something special for everyone.
Now I will be the first to admit that my cakes are not professional!  I have never taken a cake decorating class, nor do I intend to.  I read a few ideas online and went with it.  But I have, on occasion, been asked to do cakes for people we know.
Today I did one for my father in law.  We did not fill the cake up with candles . . . although that would have been funny!  Well, to us at least :)
Tonight I am thankful for the creative cakes from when I was a kid!  Those have led to much inspiration and many smiles over the years!!
Well . . I was going to put up a picture, but my computer is moody tonight . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment