Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Slow Down

I won the battle of the vehicle negotiations!  So today I had to get a ride to go pick it up since we weren't doing the trade in deal.
I was quite fortunate to get a ride with a very special man.  I was actually thinking yesterday (when he was rearranging his day to take me today), that he is the only man in my life who has never let me down.  He has put me before himself at every opportunity.  Beyond giving me faith in myself, he gave me the belief that I deserved good things.  There is a difference in believing that you can do great things and believing that you deserve great things . . he gave both to me - an invaluable gift in life.
So it was no surprise that he was more than willing to help me out today.  I felt a little bad asking because the location and the distance weren't really his thing.  But he didn't care.  And off we went.  I was so excited!!!!
He didn't speed.  In fact he drove under the speed limit for awhile.  I was politely sitting there wondering what happened to the man who taught me to drive with the race car imitation driving skills?  Another car made him mad, he floored it and went around.  When he calmed down, he slowed back down.  I was in a hurry to get to the new car!!!  I was getting so frustrated!!!
Then I realized.  He slowed down because he wanted it to take longer.  He wanted it to take longer because he wanted more time with me.  Work has been so busy.  Kids' schedules have been so busy.  We haven't had as much time to talk.  And he missed me.
I stopped being frustrated.  The car wasn't going anywhere.  It was just sitting there waiting for me.  A car ride only lasts from point A to point B, there was no harm in making that journey just a few minutes longer.
Tonight I am thankful for slowing down, even at least for a few minutes in a car.  It is easy to get busy.  It is easy to focus on the things pressing for attention.  But it can be easy to slow down too.  Moments talking on a slower drive mean much more than that amount of time sitting at a desk typing reports!

No comments:

Post a Comment