Sunday, June 5, 2016

Almost There . . .

This school year has kicked my butt.  I can admit it!
Or maybe it was me.  Maybe I kicked my own butt.  Maybe I have finally had enough to learn to say no.  Or maybe not . . . I'm fairly hard-headed at times.
At this time last year, Facebook reminded me that I posted about being glad that school was almost over because I couldn't find a jacket for Gracie and sent her to school in an adult xtra large sweatshirt with the sleeves rolled way up.
Regardless of the good and bad, we're almost there!!!  This is the last week!  Hooray!!
On a positive note, here are the top 10 things that I learned this school year - I'm sure the kids learned stuff too, but they would have to get their own blog if they want to share ;)  :
#1) The kids care about healthy food only when I care about healthy food.  If I don't make a conscious effort, these people would live off bags of sugar and Mt Dew.
#2) It doesn't matter how cool the lunch box is, if the oldest in middle school decides to use paper lunch bags, they will all use paper lunch bags.  (P.S. anyone interested in some like-new lunch boxes?)
#3) This "taking a shower" thing, is believed to be a fad that Mom may change her mind about UNTIL they get their first crush ;)
#4) I will undoubtedly, every single year, miss something.  A practice, a meeting, a homework reminder, it doesn't matter . . I'll miss it.  The good news . . as they get older, this is more on the kids and less on me!
#5) The hours between 8am and 3pm are not enough to get done everything I want to get done and I should really stop planning my days that way.
#6) Lunch accounts can and will be abused when a child wants to sit by their friends who get hot lunch every day.
#7)  I can trust the kids a little bit more than my first instincts generally allow . . but I won't push that limit completely until they've proven this to continue to be true repeatedly.
#8) "Incentive Parenting"  (aka bribing) can change a non-morning child in to a morning child when done consistently and by a patient parent.  We are working on this still because I am apparently not quite as patient as I thought I was.
#9) A little more freedom for the children, a little at a time, isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.  And I actually found I relaxed a little more too when I learned my children did so good with some of these moments.
#10) I'm really not screwing up here.  There are moments when I am sure I am a failure as a parent.  And there are moments when I think I'm doing ok.  The bottom line is that these kids are doing good.  They are smart, they are kind, they are funny.  And when they aren't these things, they know it; and they work on improving themselves.
Tonight I am thankful for another school year coming to an end!  I love that I get to have my kids back with me for the summer!  I still haven't quite figured out my work schedule with them home.  But I don't care.  I love when they are here.  They are my favorite people in the world :)


No comments:

Post a Comment