Saturday, June 18, 2016

Social Events

Anyone who really knows me, knows that I'm not really a social event kind of gal.
Nope, I'd rather be in the woods, in a field, biking down the road, sitting at home, in a library, driving around the state, or a number of other things.  To those who enjoy social events, I am happy for you!  I really am.  I used to be envious that you could sit there relaxed and chatty with everyone.  I'm not envious anymore.  I tried to be you for awhile.  I tried to be relaxed and chatty.  With those attempts I realized that I'm not really a social reject, I am just not a social person.  I can now sit in the back of the room, only slightly uncomfortable, without any longing to be part of the crowd.  Nope, it's just not me.  Just like a closet full of fashionable dresses, a hairstyle that requires more than 30 seconds, and maintaining long fingernails are not me either.
So when I do make it to a social event, please know that you mean a lot to me!  Now, if I don't make it to your particular social event, please don't assume that you don't mean a lot to me.  That simply wouldn't be true.  It may be that you mean a lot to me, but I really didn't feel my presence would be missed.  Or it may be that my moments of bravery to leave the house were sidetracked by my knowledge that I suck at social events and I didn't want to let you down.
Today I went to not one, but two social events!  The first, an open house for a very special girl.  She comes from a very special family - one full of love and a commitment to being a team together ( I absolutely love that about them!)!  My kids have loved her as the babysitter.  I've adored getting to know her as a well-thinking, ambitious girl who is ready to take on the world however she chooses!
The second was a house warming for a wonderful person!  There are some hearts out there so loving and openly friendly, that a person would be a fool to pass by them - that is my friend.  I think he has more love in his pinky than most people have in their whole hearts.  I am so proud to call him my friend.  And I am so excited for the wonderful things happening in his life!
And now I'm exhausted!  I shouldn't be, really.  I mean, social engagements aren't really physically strenuous by any means.
Tonight I am thankful for leaving my house to celebrate life's good things with some wonderful people today!  Some things in life are too special not to get out there and be present for!

No comments:

Post a Comment