Sunday, July 31, 2016

My Friend

My friend told me the other day that she had described what she thought a good friend was to another person.  And she told me that while she described a good friend, she thought of me. First of all, she made me blush :)
Second of all, I totally agreed with her about what makes a good friend.  When my kids and I talk about good friends, I think of her.  We've been friends for a long time, and she's one person that I know will always be there for me.
We have quite a few differences.  She is in to video gaming stuff.  I lose attention after Mario.  I prefer the country.  She prefers the city.  We don't have the same taste in music.  We don't share the same taste in most foods - she likes those icky green vegetable things ;)  When we did first meet, in band class, she was a genius with her instrument.  I excelled at Color Guard, other than that I got to hit things with a mallet.  And even then, I was asked by the instructor just to pretend . . making music is not my thing.
Fortunately for us, the things I listed above there, aren't required to be good friends.  I think what's made our friendship lasts is the real stuff.  We've always respected each other and been honest with each other.
At the worst times in my life, I called her. And she gave me hope.  If I need her, I know she'll be there.  And she knows that I'll always be there for her.  Time and distance don't matter.  They never have.
We're a good story to share with the kids.  Especially with the ages that my kids are at now.  I remember being that age.  I remember thinking that to be good friends with someone that you had to have the same taste in fashion, hair styles, music, and well . . just about everything.  But that's just not true.  I am very blessed to be able to tell my kids that I have a good friend who has lasted since high school and we never bonded over doing each other's hair or singing country karoake.  We bonded over being real people who appreciated the other person being a real person in return.  I love her like a sister, and I imagine us one day in some futuristic Golden Girls type scenario, maybe scaring passer-bys in a mall with our fake teeth or something.
Tonight I am thankful for my friend.  I hope she reads this tonight :)  She knows I love her.  But, well, I think it's good to bring it up now and then so there's never any doubt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment