Wednesday, September 14, 2016

See You Struggle

There's this pressure out there to do things without showing weakness.  I've never really understood that.  Why not show it?  We all have weakness.  We all struggle.  What's the point of pretending we don't?  I like that saying, You may see me struggle, but you'll never see me quit.
The not giving up should be the valued part.  That's the part that should be aspired to and celebrated.  And I think this is especially true as a parent.
I will always remember my mom apologizing to me when she messed up.  It showed me that we all mess up.  Then we apologize, we make it right, and we continue on.  That makes a big impression on a child.  Take my word for it!
I saw her struggle with life too.  I watched her lose all hope, cry, and pray.  I watched her dig her heels in and make a plan to keep going.  I watched her find hope again.  And in all that, I saw her smile.  I saw her exhausted, at the end of her rope, but still holding on, looking at my brother and I, and finding joy.  I remember these things.  She didn't hide the struggle of being human from us.
So I hold on too.  I don't give up.  I see myself struggle, fall down, and get up again.  Quitting isn't really something I consider because I see the end out there, I see the victory, even on my knees, I'm going towards it.
I want my kids to see this.  I want them to grow and know that life is rough.  I don't want them to think that they are out of options because the world says there are no options.  God makes options where there haven't been any.  I want them to understand that strength is not an absence of tears or exhaustion, or thoughts of giving up.  No, I want them to know that strength is going forward right thru all of these things and still going forward.
Tonight I am thankful for the ability to live life in front of my kids.  I hope I set a good example.  They see me lose my marbles.  But then they see me pick them back up.  Life happens to all of us, how we respond is what matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment