Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Honor & Privilege

AH, I'm after midnight . . . I hope I don't turn in to a pumpkin!
Well, I just got back from camp.  My girl was doing very well there . . until I had to leave :(  I know that is the hardest part.  And I'm sure she is sound asleep now and will have a great day tomorrow.  Tomorrow she gets to swing on the giant swing!
I know that I don't NEED to go visit the kids when they go to camp.  And I know it makes it harder for them when I leave.  But I like to go see them.  It's only one day out of the week they are up there, but it is a special time for them and I.
The thing that strikes me so bittersweet about this visit, with this child, at this time, is that a girl who was a few grades behind me in school just lost her battle with cancer.  She had two boys.  I can't even imagine.  How could you explain to a child that they would never see their mother again?  How could you be a mother and say goodbye to your young children?  There is no way.
It isn't an inconvenience to drive up and see the kids when they are at camp for me.  I like to drive.  But this time, this drive today, and this time at camp today . . it just feels more like an honor and a privilege to be able to do this and have this time with my daughter.
Tonight I am thankful for being able to go spend time with my daughter at camp.  I wish I could go back up this week . . but I'll see her again in just a few days.
Tonight I ask you to join me and pray for these boys who have lost their mother.  They won't have the chance to even hope that she would be able to come on school outings now.  And she won't get to be there for them to make those memories.  Please pray that the whole family somehow finds peace and finds the best way to honor her memory in caring for her children.  Some people say that God takes people away too soon.  I counter that this is not God's plan.  Death is not God's plan . . it never has been and it never will be.  But he can help heal this pain and bring a rainbow after the storm.
*My girl and I playing around in her cabin*



No comments:

Post a Comment