Saturday, October 8, 2016

Three Things

"There are 3 things that I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin".  -  Linus Van Pelt, Peanuts
I do discuss God, though not religions.
The other two . . well . . I'll just leave that right there.
One thing that is certain in life is that you have to pick your battles.  Pick the battles that need fighting - debating online with people who are looking to debate with other people online is not a battle that needs fighting.
I cannot change the presidential candidates, I wish I could.  The things that I can do include researching facts and not relying on media recounts, making what I feel to be the best decision for the future of our country , and going to the polls to cast my vote,
The things that I can change in life start in this house.  In this house we learn that it is not ok to lie.  It is not ok to steal, to cheat, to take things that don't belong to you, to touch others inappropriately, to cover for someone who has told a lie, to make decisions about others without regard to how it affects that other person; and these are just a few of the things that we work on in this house.  Now we don't always get it right.  But I pray that my children grow and leave this house knowing the difference between right and wrong.  I pray that my children grow to learn to forgive other and themselves.  I pray that my children grow to learn to give second chances; but not to be walked on.  I pray that my children understand that our country is not perfect, but it is good.  I pray that my children grow to understand that democracy is not perfect, but it is good.  And I pray that my children grow to think for themselves, to pray for wisdom, and to make the best decision that they can make.
Tonight I am thankful for the things that I can change; the things that I can affect, and the things that I can have a say in, whether I feel like it or not - these things are privileges, as well as rights, and will always be regarded as such in this house!
P.S.  I have never seen the Great Pumpkin . . . but I wouldn't want to hurt Linus's feelings about it.  He's not hurting anyone by growing great pumpkins ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment