Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Measurable

Let's talk about resolutions.  New Years is approaching fast.  I was curious, so I looked up the actual definition.  The internet offers 1) a firm decision to do or not to do something and 2) the action of solving a problem.
Well . . . neither of those work for the goals I'm setting for next year.
I've had a long standing New Year's tradition of not only planning some big goals for the next year, but also recapping the previous year.  I don't know, maybe I like closure.  Or maybe I feel more prepared to make new goals after measuring the old ones.
So in 2016 (and 2015) I've worked my butt off!!!  Not literally, I wasn't in the gym or anything.  I had made huge financial goals to get out of debt and we have done awesome with that.  I am very proud of how far we've come!  I don't have regrets because I see how much this hard work has paid off.  But I'm definitely ready to change some things.
This Christmas season I had made several plans to try and do things and bless others.  And lots of doors were closed when I tried to go thru them.  To this, I am admitting that "to everything there is a season".  This is a time for me to rest.  My body needs to rest.  My mind needs to rest.  I have pushed very hard, for very long, with very good reason.  And now I rest for a time.
Then, after the resting, I have some new goals.  Goals are measurable.  They are a bit different than resolutions.  Goals are made up of lots of little decisions, every single day, to keep going, to keep working towards the finish line, and to celebrate milestones along the way.  My goals for 2017 include quite a bit of learning.
I am going to work on switching some gears in my life.  To go in a new direction, and do it well, it is best to see what lies on the road of the new direction!  For this I am thankful for amazon and ebay.  I've ordered a few good books written by people who have "been there and done that".  I want to hear what they have to say.  I don't have all the measurable steps yet for my new goals.  I don't know what they should be yet.  So I must learn.
I'm excited!
For 2017 my resolution won't be a one statement thing.  But my 2017 goals are going to be awesome!  I may not be ready to lay out the goal plan until mid-January.  But I'm excited to change gears!  And I think the best part is that I feel I've reached my 2016 goals pretty well.  Reaching one goal helps fuel a person on to the next goal, so here I come!
Tonight I am thankful for the reflective and hopeful spirit of New Years!  I hope you can look back on your 2016 and find things that you are proud of . . . sometimes that is just survival.  And if it is, be proud you survived!!  I hope you can make some good goals for 2017 to keep you fueled, on fire, and living life!

No comments:

Post a Comment