Saturday, January 14, 2017

Best Foot Forward

About two years ago I had made a decision to make a big career move.  I was going to take my Real Estate Salesperson license up to a Broker license and open an outlet of the brokerage I was working for out here in my area.
There were several reasons for this decision.  A big one was job satisfaction.  As a Real Estate Appraiser, I enjoy the actual work itself, . . the problem is the rest of the stuff that isn't really about valuing houses.  It is the "rest of the stuff" that is cited for the reasons that a lot of people leave the business after decades.
My appraisal business is good and has been good for my family in numerous ways.  But where do I want to be in 5 years?  10 years?  I want to be happy.  I don't want to be chasing ridiculous turn times or being blamed for ruining peoples' lives when I'm just doing my job.  I know there are downfalls to every job, but really appraising is a thankless job.  People only call when they want to complain.  In 12 years now, I think I maybe average 5 - 10 compliments per year.  From hundreds of files per year, that isn't a high ratio.  The complaints are much higher - and they are generally unjustified.  I ask the complaintants, tell me what I missed; show me the market data that you believe is missing from the report.  I can remember only a handful of valid answers . . in 12 years.
Ok, so I made this decision around two years ago.  I signed up for classes.  And I struggled to get them done.  Really struggled.  It was very bland information and I was doing it in my spare time, which there is never a lot of.  I had to get a few extensions on my classes.  Finally I finished!  Hooray!  I took my state test.  I passed!  Hooray!  And then I began all the other legal stuff required. That was about a year ago.  I had a wonderful agent sign under me and things were under way!
Then I stalled.  The appraisal business was booming.  I saw how much help that boom could be to getting my family more secure.  And the first year of Ethos Real Estate West floated by without me doing a lot of the things that I wanted to do with the business.
So here I am with the beginning of year two.  This year will be awesome!  All those classes I had to take were good.  But I didn't get a lot of the information that I wanted to know.  These past few weeks I have now been finding the information that I want to know!  Last year I searched the internet.  And although the internet is a great tool, it still isn't as good as books!  I'm excited.  It's hard to put a good step forward until you have a clue where you are stepping to.  Now I have a much better idea and vision for where I want my next steps to be!
Tonight I am thankful for my resting time today.  (I'd be lying if I said I rested all day.  Because really, I'm not good at resting.)  But I am thankful for the time I rested!  I sat in bed under my nice, warm blankeys and finished my research - for now.  Much more information is available for the future.  For now I've got some exciting work to do: to put together all this great information and make some good decisions!  I'll start on that during tomorrow's resting time ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment