Saturday, March 11, 2017

Fighting

A couple weeks ago I signed my girls up for this completely awesome seminar for girls.  I read thru the sessions available and the mentors who would be there speaking.  One woman had a high up belt in a karate type.  And she had a belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
I've been thinking about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ever since reading that.  I've watched matches before.  I know a few people who have done Jiu Jitsu.  They've all been men.  Now, believe me when I say that I have never once in my life let anything sway my resolve because I'm a woman and something I want is for men.  It's just never been logical to me that I can't do what I want if I'm willing to work towards it - no matter what "it" may be.  For whatever reason though, I never thought how much I would enjoy Jiu Jitsu.  But reading about that woman has had me thinking.
I have always enjoyed wrestling.  I never did real wrestling as a sport or anything.  I enjoyed the rough-house kind of wrestling that the boys do in the back yard.  I was always game for that!   I'd watch people to see what would work best against an opponent.  And I'm fairly stubborn and scrappy.
My punching bag in my basement is one of my favorite items in my home gym!  Somewhere there may still be surveillance videos of me at a past job where I wrestled a guy just out of boot camp in the front of a store . . . I always stand back up very lady-like though.  So it's all good ;)
Ok, so I've made this decision that this is something that I want to do.  I found some classes for a place nearby.  They even have day time classes so I can go when the kids are in school!  There is only one thing that makes me nervous . . . my knee.
I haven't really done a ton to build it up lately.  I do the exercise bike now and then.  And a few other exercises.  But I haven't done much to focus just on building my knee back up.  And to do Jiu Jitsu, I would want to feel confident that I wouldn't re-injure myself.
So I've set a goal for the fall!  One thing I have learned about my knee is that I can't push improvement to happen faster than it naturally will.  And, I don't want to start these classes in the summer when the kids are home from school.  I have promised to do a 15 mile bike race with the kids this August.  That'll be a good step in the right direction.
Tonight I am thankful for realizing a good goal for myself!  40 pounds and a stronger knee in 6 months is definitely possible!  And it will happen!  I don't want to go in to my first classes and feel like I can't handle it.  I want to go in, in my best shape possible.  So I will ;)  Look for updates in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment