Tuesday, April 11, 2017

No Lunch

I was ready for a fight this afternoon.
It started this morning.  I don't know if it was the lack of candy this morning perhaps?  Whatever the reason, my boys had the ambition of snails this morning while getting ready for school.
One child in particular chose to ignore every time I said "pack your lunch".  I heard how we have nothing that he likes to eat.  I heard how he planned on buying his lunch today - although he had no money for that.  When it was time to go, I begrudgingly took pity on him, threw some food in a container and gave it to him in the car.
Then I got a phone call around lunch time.  My children cannot charge their lunches at school.  I set this up this way after lunch abuse last year.  The school just wanted to check, as my son was there trying to charge a lunch.  He said he didn't have his lunch.  I went out to the car to look.  And sure enough, there was the lunch sitting there in the seat.  I said, "No, he cannot charge a lunch today."
When he got home today, he said he really did forget his lunch.  I asked why he didn't put it in his backpack.  And he said he was going to carry it, then forgot when he was rushing out of the car.  We were a little late this morning.  So maybe that's true.  BUT, that doesn't negate the fact that he could have packed his own lunch and put it in his own backpack at any point this morning.  And yes, I pointed that out to him.
Tonight I am thankful for lessons learned the hard way.  Believe me, I would much rather have my children learn lessons the easy way.  But sometimes that just doesn't happen.  Today's food-less lunch seems to have made an impression on a little tummy.  I suppose I'll find out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment