Friday, May 12, 2017

The Why

First of all, I had an amazing time today at Entreleadership!  It was totally worth the trip!
There was lots of fantastic information.  I mean, just think about the whole pretext of today's event . . . getting to learn from someone else's over two decades of mistakes and learning from their over two decades of successes!  Priceless!  
After the event, I was driving home.  I called my mom to tell her how it went.  We were talking.  I was telling her things that I need to implement and change with my businesses.  Then I had an "Ah-Ha" moment.  Ever have those?  I mean, something so obvious and simple . . but you hadn't seen it right in front of you?
I've been struggling with motivation on the appraisal businesses lately.  Like big time.  I'm just not caring much about deadlines, etc.  And that's really not good for businesses.  I've wished I felt bad about it, because I know I should . .. but I just have lost a lot of caring for customer satisfaction with my timeliness.
The most I'd figured out, before today, was that I was feeling the effects of the burn-out from last year.  Last year, I pushed hard . . . very hard.  But I did it on purpose to reach a goal.
And as I was talking to my mom, I went back to why I started this business.  It's never been about the money or the houses, ever.  I enjoy houses, so the industry fits.  And money, well it's necessary!  But I started this  business 12 years ago to be able to be at home with my babies.  That was my "why".  And that's a darn good "why".  We couldn't afford for me to be home and not work.  And I could not stand the thought of leaving my babies at daycare.  I had to come up with something to work from home.  I tried a few other things that weren't a good fit.  Then a nice lady gave me the suggestion of appraising houses.  And it clicked with me.
All the struggles, all the lack of sleep, all the stress was worth it; beyond worth it, because it kept me here with my kiddos.  Well my kiddos are growing up.  And it hadn't dawned on me that my "why" is changing.  I don't have to be available for them like I once was.  Don't get me wrong, I love that I can go on field trips and be around to pick up kiddos from school when they are sick.  
But day in, day out, they don't need me to be home and available 24 hours a day anymore.  This fall, I'll only have one child left in elementary school.  That is only one child left with field trips.  Only one child left bringing home weekly papers.  The other three won't need me for those things.  I won't get in to emotional stuff with this right now - but from the business point of view . . my "why" has changed.
Wow.
That's big.  I hadn't seen it before today.
The last 14 years of my life have been figuring out how to be here for my babies.  The last 12 years of my life have been doing that - being here, working from home around my family.  This business has served it's purpose well.  I will always be beyond grateful that God brought this in to my life!
To everything there is a season.  Now I have to change my "why".  The "why" for the brokerage is easy.  Seriously, easy.  I didn't have to start a brokerage.  My appraising business is very healthy.  The "why" of the brokerage is to do something that helps people.  Buying a house or selling a house are big things.  I have learned a lot about houses over the years.  And I want to help people with that.  I want to do something where I can feel that it matters more than a report on a house (although I know that report matters too).  I wanted to experience it first hand.  I love to see someone's eyes light up when they see "the house".  The one they've been dreaming about, that they can see themselves living in for many happy days.  And I wanted to be able to provide that chance to other agents who want to help people with that; while providing a chance for the agent to change their own lives with this work!
Finding a new "why" for appraising won't be too hard.  I have a few ideas that are logical.  But I'm taking some time on this.  I need it to speak to me like the last "why".  Honestly, nothing will speak to me quite like the last "why" . . . I mean . . taking care of my babies, nothing in the world can compete with that!!  But, I'll find a good next reason!
Tonight I am thankful for attending today's event.  Despite everything put in my path to hold me back, I went.  And I'm glad I did!  I have a lot of information before me; a lot of planning, a lot of learning, a lot of thinking, and a lot of implementing and/or working on things.  It's all to a good end!  This will be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment