Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Unclear

I heard a new saying a couple weeks ago that keeps going thru my head.  "To be unclear is to be unkind."  
This really resonates with me.  I try to be very honest and forthcoming in my day to day communications.  But I can have problems when I am having issues with someone else.  I tend to have a hard time having a conversation with someone and pointing out a specific problem I am having with that person. 
Sometimes I do ok.  There have been several times when I get myself upset.  When I get a little mad, I can get over my reservations that I may be hurting some one's feelings.  
I have never viewed hurting some one's feelings in a kind light.  But it really depends on how you look at it.  If I am not setting out to hurt some one's feelings; and I am trying my best to be compassionate in conversation; then I really should not feel responsible for the other person's feelings.  But I tend to.
Now looking at the same situation in this new light, "To be unclear is to be unkind."  Well, that's true.  To beat around the bush just encourages confusion and possibly untrue conclusions.  And that is not kind.  It is much more kind to lovingly and politely be direct and clear about issues so they can be resolved; or worked thru.
Tonight I am thankful for these words.  They aren't complicated words.  But their truth is ringing loud in my head.  I may paint these words on my wall some day.  I don't need to get mad to have enough courage to bring up issue with another; I can remember that I need to be clear about the issue, and subsequently be kind enough to have honest communication that leaves little room for confusion or distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment