Saturday, June 10, 2017

It Just Got Real . . . . (Yikes!)

At our last cheer meeting, my wonderful coaches suggested a challenge for the kids to do over the summer.  This would help them be in shape in the fall and improve their skills.  I was game for that.  Then we were talking and added in a goal of running a 5k together (parents invited too!).
Do you know what this means?  I seriously need to get my act together!
For the past several weeks, I have made great weekend resolves for the upcoming weekdays.  Then the week hits and my resolves go out the window.  Yes, for me that all comes back to scheduling.  I do not leave enough time in one day to do four days worth of work and sleep.  I know this.  I'm working on it.  This is going to be one of those hard-to-learn-lessons.  But, I WILL GET IT!  It's just gonna take me longer than I originally thought!
This morning was the time for the challenge.  I was wondering who would come, with it being the morning after the last day of school.  We had a pretty good turn out.  Better than I had anticipated.  We went over stuff.  We played some music.  We sweated in the sun.  We had ice cream.  And we ended early, feeling a little like rotisserie chickens in the heat!
And now . . it's real.  The challenges are passed out.  The 5k plans, date, and information, is in writing and out there.
I'll admit, that I haven't ran . . like really ran, since my birthday.  Last September I had a goal to run one mile.  It had been one year since I had tore my PCL - yes I had done it on my birthday in 2015.  I once also got rear-ended in a drive-thru line by my insurance agent on my birthday.  I should just stay home on my birthdays and eat ice cream all day!  Um . . sorry, I got side tracked.  Anyway, I worked hard.  I built my knee back up.  I hit my goal!  I ran one entire mile.  Then I limped horribly for the rest of the day.  I was so proud of myself and so done with the pain of pushing a less than 100% joint, that I haven't been on the treadmill since.  I have ran a little in the yard and things like that.  But nothing major.  Well, it's time for that to change!!
Tonight I am thankful for challenging the girls this year and myself!  It's time I took on a new challenge . . I'll tell you that my motivation is not here yet . . but my body sure needs this!  So where motivation is lacking, determination takes over!
Oh yeah, and we added an extra bonus that if I can do the splits by the end of the season, the girls will have to do something.  I don't know what yet.  But I know they have good odds.  I have never been able to do the splits in my 30-something years.  I guess there's a first time for everything though . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment